This is a special edition of the Around the NBA.
Around the NBA is about providing a concise update of what happened in the NBA in a particular week. In honor of the upcoming London Olympics, here is a quick recap of what happened in basketball during the the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
- After failing to win the gold medal for the first time in the 2004 Athens Olympics, Team USA revamped their roster and called it the Redeem Team.
- Team USA hired Coach K of Duke University
- The final roster for the Redeem Team: Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwayne Wade, Jason Kidd, Carlos Boozer, Kobe Bryant, Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, Tayshaun Prince, Chris Paul, Michael Redd and Chris Bosh.
- In the United States’ first game, they beat China, which was lead by Yao Ming, 101-70
- The biggest upset in the preliminary rounds was Australia beating Lithuania 106-75. At the time Lithuania was 3-0, which included an impressive win over Argentina.
- Revenge is sweet. In their third game, the United States beat Greece, the team that knocked them out of the gold medal round in 2004. Final score was 92-69.
- The U.S. advanced to the tournament as the number one seed. They played Australia in the quarterfinals and beat them 116-85.
- In the much anticipated semifinals game U.S beat Argentina, the team that won gold in 2004, and Spain beat Lithuania.
- In the finals, the United States edged out Spain 118-107 in what most people called the “most intense gold medal game ever.” Kobe Bryant put the game out of the reach of the Spaniards with a memorable four point play near the end of the game.
- Dwayne Wade lead the Redeem Team with 16.4 points per game.
- Yao Ming lead the Olympics with 19.6 points per game.
- On average, the U.S. beat their opponents by 28 points.
What was your favorite memory about the Redeem Team?