Around the NBA is a quick, bullet form overview of what went on in the NBA during the particular week. Pretty much a Cliffnotes of weekly NBA related news for anyone from working men and students during a busy week to wives and girlfriends who want to share their significant others’ NBA interest. Here we go:
- What Kobe Bryant wants is what the Lakers want. Regarding the Pau Gasol trade rumors, Kobe said on Saturday that “As long as I’m there, he’s going to be there.” That is the best job security you’re going to get as a NBA player. If I was Gasol, I would take Kobe out to a nice dinner.
- Portland and Memphis have something to be excited about. After a much anticipated summer league came to a close, Grizzlies’ second year man Josh Selby and Portland’s rookie Damian Lillard were named the Summer League CO-MVP. Selby averaged 24.2 points and Lillard averaged 26.5 points.
- OJ Mayo has signed a two year contract with the Mavericks. The fourth year pro who played for Memphis Last season will look to fill the void left by Jason Terry who signed with the Boston Celtics. For the Mavericks, they retain their cap flexibility as the second year of Mayo’s contract has a player option.
- Derrick Rose is doing well. Thank the NBA god. It is unknown if the last year’s MVP will come back 100% after suffering a terrifying ACL injury during the playoffs. He is targeting March for his return.
- Denver Nuggets signed Anthony Randolph. Oh man do they love unproven forwards who have out of this world potential: Javale Mcgee, Danilo Galinari, Kenneth Faried, Wilson Chandler, and now adding to the list Anthony Randolph.
- Whats the difference between soccer jerseys and basketball jerseys. Basketball jerseys don’t have ads on them. And that’s how the fans like it. Unfortunately, that is about to change as the league approved a 2.5 x 2.5 ad for the 2013 season.
photo credit: Doug Pensinger